Tuesday, January 4, 2011

CVS Shopping Trip: Milking the Deals

I had my first grocery/drugstore shopping trip of the new year today -- a stop at CVS on the way home from work to pick up "nighttime diapers" (Huggies GoodNites) and some other stuff.

The four-year-old has been asking for the past few days if she can go to bed without a nighttime diaper -- I told her if she is dry in the morning for a week, we can try it. I would love to be done with these things, too -- but not enough that I want to be dealing with a wet kid/bed/blankets/stuffed animals every morning.

I will also be glad when we've moved past the subzero temperatures that make it hard for my still-almost-frozen fingers to flip the coupons in the organizer, even after I get into the store.

Still, I think it was a successful shopping trip. In addition to the Huggies (which earned me a $1 Extra Care Buck), I purchased several other items. We're stocked up on dish soap for a while, since Palmolive was on sale for 88¢ and I had two coupons for $2 off 2.

I also used coupons I printed via Swagbucks for Kleenex and Filippo Berio olive oil (among other coupons). Using those coupons should add some Swagbucks (which I redeem for gift cards) to my account in the next few weeks -- in addition to the manufacturer's discount which came with the coupons. In the case of the olive oil, that was $1.00 off 2 -- and the CVS deal was buy one get one free. Plus, Filippo Berio olive oil is part of the ecoupons this month via Upromise, which means that, when I purchase it, $1.00 will be added to my Upromise account (for the diapered daughter's college savings).

Yep, I think I pretty much milked that deal for all it was worth.

And, I paid about $30.00 out of pocket for about $70.00 total worth of stuff. Total savings on the receipt was $40.67 -- which will get swept into the extra payments applied to the car loan toward paying it off, this year's main fiscal goal.


psst: The Swagbucks link is a referral link, which means if you click on the link and join, I get points credited to my Swagbucks account. It doesn't cost you anything. Thanks in advance if you decide it's right for you.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a successful shopping trip! I don't make it into CVS very often, but I am still trying to learn the ropes at RiteAid and am very excited when I get several items at little cost.

    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey, thanks for your comment! We don't have RiteAid around here, so CVS (and Walgreen's) shopping it is.

    ReplyDelete